My FOREST is a computer program running in tablets with ANDROID operating systems. It is effective and useful tool for map validation, field checks, corrections, and field data collection (polygons, lines, points, text) in forestry applications for the following reasons:
- It is superimposing line layers (DXF), Shape and raster files (i.e. photomaps of single or multiple dates.) with fast zoom and pan.
- On, off display of vectors and images from different dates.
- It offers online, offline navigation, using street maps of OpenStreetMap.
- Online data use: Geo-referenced images of Google maps, and different stations that offer Web Map Services (WMS) (i.e. photomaps of EKXA). The downloaded data are processed and stored for future use.
- Offline data use: Street maps of OpenStreetMap, and online data stored previously in mbtiles form for future use (i.e. photomaps of EKXA). In the case of photomaps, the files are processed in advance using program Cut Map Tiles, Land Data’s Mbtiles format generator . The result is generation of tiles (256 X 256) pixels, facilitating fast zoom and pan of tablets and smart phones.
- It is displaying and recording GPS tracks in ‘SERVICE’ mode, as well as online, and offline.
- It collects field data in the form of polygons, lines, points, and text. You can use this data for map validation and field checks. (Vector data for forestry, and topographic applications, DXF interface).
- It takes and manages geo-referenced pictures with tagged messages, which indicate the location of the exposure in the GPS tracks.
- It executes work according to ΕΚΧΑ specifications.
VALIDATION, FIELD CHECKS OF FORESTRY MAPS
The validation and field checks are done economically with transferring from the office all the necessary vectors, points, text (with their colors) into the tablet. As a result you have the data onto the field, where editing (addition and deletion) of selected features is taking place. The new info comes back to the office where it takes its final form, or it is transmitted from the field, through 3G (optional) connections, to eliminate any error and omission possibilities, before the operator returns to the base.
DATA COLLECTION, POLYGON-LINES-POINTS, DXF INTERFACE
The tablet* is equipped with data collection software, by tapping the points of interest and bypassing the use of the cursor to expedite the field trips. This generates polygons/lines/points tagged onto features with comments. You can display these features with colors of your choice, and you can edit or delete them.
The accuracy of measurements and collection of new data and controls depends on the accuracy of the raster file and the pixel size. Here the position of a point is given by the position of the pixel in the raster file, rather than the measurement of GPS. Thus, if the pixel size is 10 cm, then the accuracy of the new information introduced by the raster file is 10 cm. That is if you can identify the detail clearly. Therefore, your tablet is as good as the accuracy and the pixel size of your raster file.
- SPECS AT A GLANCE
- WHAT IS INCLUDED